Today is Day Six post-op – and I’m feeling 100% better than I was even yesterday. Yesterday (Sunday) was actually a bit of a down day for me. I slept through nearly the whole night before, which was great in terms of getting a good night’s sleep, but that meant that I woke up very sore, and it took pretty much all day for the pain-killers to catch up with that. I had some visitors, which was lovely, but I was very tired by the end of the day. I really wanted to do lots of sitting and walking yesterday to gear up for the trip home, but I was too tired and sore to do that. I was also moved from my single room into a four-bed room yesterday, which was a bit of a shame for Mum, as now she gets to sleep on a mattress on the floor as opposed to the pull-down bed in the other room. However, the one other person in this room was discharged this morning, so it’s ended up that I’m by myself again!
So yesterday wasn’t that great. But today has been a completely different story! Here’s a list of all the things I’ve done today:
- Sat in my chair for an hour without a break. This was a very big achievement for me, and I’m super proud that I finally managed it. I also sat up quite a few other times, but they were in shorter bursts.
- Walked right down to the end of the ward and then up and down the flight of stairs. I did this twice – once in the morning with the physio, and once after dinner with Mum. Walking has become so much easier today, and I’m actually finding it almost more comfortable than sitting or even lying down.
- Had a proper shower and washed my hair. It felt so, so, so good to finally have a real shower, instead of just using a wet flannel and dry shampoo and I actually felt even better than before after I’d done that.
- Not come close to fainting, or even feeling dizzy. This is also a big achievement for me, and it has come none too soon in my opinion.
- And the last thing – I’ve been told that I can go home tomorrow! I can’t wait to sleep in my own bed and eat real food again. This time yesterday I wouldn’t have believed that I’d be okay to go home on Tuesday, but today has convinced me that that can happen. Sitting up for the almost 2 hour trip home will still be a challenge, but I’m pretty sure that I’ll be alright.
So I’m pretty excited. Home – here I come!